What is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional Intelligence is the every day strengths that enable us to be successful personally and professionally.
Our emotional intelligence needs to be nurtured, and it is not easily learned from a book.
Typically speaking, emotional intelligence is being capable of the following three things – that may sound easy however, they don’t necessarily come naturally:
- The ability to understand ourselves and express feelings
- The understanding of how others feel and how to relate to them
- How to change and manage emotional behaviour in a positive way
Emotional Intelligence is seen as a set of life skills, which become a central part of helping people to become high achievers at work and in their personal lives.
Learning to understand our own feelings and emotions, as well as of those around us – particularly in working environments – we can become more effective in:
- Enhanced self awareness and management
- Managing ourselves
- Building and maintaining successful relationships
- Dealing with stress and handling environmental pressures and demands
There is a huge amount of work, research and theoretical study into the field of emotional intelligence, developing it into the concept we understand today.
Dr Reuven Bar-On contributed the phrase Emotional Quotient (EQ) to the field of emotional intelligence, which focuses on the ideology of:
- Why do some people possess greater well-being?
- Why are some people better able to achieve success in life?
- Why do some people who may be blessed with superior intelligence abilities seem to do less well in life, while others with lower intelligence succeed?
Understanding and developing our emotional intelligence skills and capabilities will ultimately:
- Develop our abilities to build successful relationships, with colleagues and customers
- Equip us with advanced interpersonal skills
- Help us manage people and teams more effectively; including managing up as well as down
- Help us with to deal with difficult people or performance issues within the workforce
Later in our upcoming blogs we’ll be going through the Emotional Intelligence EQi 2.0 model and its attributes, as suggested by the original Reuven Bar-On EQi model.
For now, it’s a good idea to become accustomed with the EQi model and its attributes.
About High Impact Development
With over 6500 managers, leaders and employees already served by High Impact Development, our highly effective, results focused programmes are tailored to your needs.
High Impact Development have been successful in delivering, researching and developing unique and effective emotional intelligence programmes for over 14 years. Find out more about our past and our company story here: https://highimpactdevelopment.co.uk
If you want to know more about these life skills and how they improve the way we mange ourselves, our relationships, our work and our capability at dealing with stress, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
If you’d like to know more about how we can impact your company’s productivity, team morale and overall potential achievements, don’t hesitate to get in touch through @HighImpactUK, email [email protected] or call 07540 135 965.